Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Favorite Salt Lake Restaurant

I've decided that my first review should be of my favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City. And, that restaurant is Takashi. Located on charming (when it's not under construction) Market Street in downtown Salt Lake, Takashi by far serves the best sushi in Salt Lake, Utah, and maybe anywhere. It's not the traditional sushi restaurant you may find elsewhere. The menu has an array of rolls and treats that you will find at other Japanese restaurants which can lead to a fresh and beautiful meal. However, it's their specials and fusion-like fare where the real dining adventures begin.

My first experience at Takashi was during the most wonderful time of the year - the Salt Lake Downtown Alliance's Dine O' Round. My husband and I went in two years ago for a three course meal at $30 each. When the appetizer arrived, I knew I was in love. The "deconstructed california roll" was elegantly presented in a small glass filled with a creamy avocado soup topped with lump crab meat and flying fish eggs. Served on the side was a seaweed crisp. It was amazing. Takashi is now our favorite restaurant for birthdays, anniversaries and Valentine's Day.

As far as sushi goes, I doubt you can lose with any of Takashi's fresh and expertly prepared rolls, nigiri and sashimi. There was a time when the thought of raw fish made my stomach churn and I wouldn't eat it for anything. But, and I never thought I'd say this, eating sushi at Takashi is like eating candy. Candy that is comprised of only the best, most flavorful confections known to man. With each bite of sushi I close my eyes, savor the subtle flavors and textures and feel my stomach well with joy from the act. Eating sushi at Takashi can't be described as just dinner out, but only as a spectacular taste experience.

Personal favorites include the Torched Sablefish Nigiri, Agadashi Tofu, and Crunchy Ebi Roll.

Takashi
Contemporary Japanese Dining
Chef: Takashi Gibo
18 West Market Street
Salt Lake City, UT
(801) 519-9595

Open for lunch Monday - Friday from 11AM to 2PM
Open for dinner Monday - Thursday from 5:30 to 10PM and Friday - Saturday from 5:30 to 11PM
Reservations are wise @ http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=6798

No comments:

Post a Comment